Engage the World…In America!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I've noticed that Americans tend to live in a bubble. We are not always aware of what goes on in the world we live in. Sure we might watch CNN or Fox News, but is that really an un-biased view of current events?
Anyway, my point is not to discuss the media, but to point out that it is truly difficult to experience the world around us unless we step into that culture.

Without physically stepping into another country, Mitch and I have recently gotten the opportunity to  experience the Kurdish culture.
Sunday evening we met 5 Kurdish men who recently moved to Nashville (Kurdish people come from Iraq, Iran, Syria, and Turkey). Just by talking to them it seemed as if we immediately became their friends. Now before meeting them I knew nothing about their culture. I hate to say it, but I did have pre-concieved notions about middle easterners and middle east countries- whether it be from the media, what I was taught, or simply how our society views them. But I am beginning to learn things about them and their culture that the media would never tell you. It's amazing how different a culture can be, but how similar we all really are.

I wish everyone could have the opportunity to serve overseas on a mission trip, it truly does open your eyes to so much. But I know not everyone can physically go. The great thing about the U.S. is that the nations have been brought to us! Let's face it, us white folks will be the minority one day. We live in a land where English is not the official language and hispanics are rapidly increasing (good thing I know Spanish!).

Needless to say, there is no excuse for us, especially us Christians, to engage in other cultures and in internationals. It has opened my eyes a lot just by getting to know our new Kurdish friends. I am challenging you to do what Christ commands:

"Therefore go and make disciples of ALL nations…"  Matthew 28:19


No comments

Post a Comment

A beautiful adventure. All rights reserved. © Adorable Design.