Goals and Grace

Saturday, January 4, 2014


After a several weeks of not blogging and a 2 week mini-vacay in the states, we're back in Guatemala and back to blogging. I hope everyone reading this had a fabulous Christmas and a Happy New Year! We sure did, but I'll post about our trip later.

I wanted to dedicate a whole post to goals, specifically 2014 goals. I know there are some people who have nothing to do with new years goals and other who completely embrace it. I used to fall some where in the middle. I was indifferent,  and often made goals but never pushed myself to complete them. This year, however, I am completely motivated to make new goals and see them through till the end. 

I saw a quote the other day on facebook that said, " I used to see the New Year as a chance to reset, but truthfully God gives us the chance to reset all the time! #Grace"

While I completely agree, I can't help but feeling like the new year is a fresh start. And it certainitly is a perfect time to look forward and set new goals. I also believe that there is a lot more to attaining goals than just listing them. What's your plan of action? How are you going to reach this goal? Those are questions I asked myself as I thought about what I wanted to accomplish. And then I came up with a strategy to get me there. So, since we're talking goals here are mine:

1. Push myself artistically. 
I have always been drawn to art in some form or fashion. Ever since that 10th grade art class I knew it would always be a part of my life (I almost pursued being an art history teacher). And then a camera fell in my hands and I fell in love with it. This year, I want to be a better photographer. I want to challenge myself and grow as an artist. But how?
- take photos everyday (even if it's only for 5 min)
-practice, practice, practice on different subjects/different settings
-draw more. In college I wanted to take a photography class and the only way I could was if I took drawing 1&2. Unfortunately I only made it through drawing 1 due to lack of electives, but I learned that drawing is fun and I can sometimes be really good at it. It's also therapeutic and helps when I'm in a creative rut.



2. Get fit. 
This is such a cliché new years goal, but I'm going for it! I've been on this get-fit-kick since mid November and I'm sticking with it. Mitch is even jumping on it too. This is not a lose weight kind of goal, but a get strong kind of goal! 
-Eat more protein and less sugar. 
-Strength train 5 times a week. 
-Don't put it off until tomorrow!


3. Love more. 
This is one is for both Mitch and I. I think this is going to be the hardest of them all. Why? Because by human nature we're selfish creatures and loving others is a selfless act. 
-Be more mindful of other needs. I live in a country of great need, both spiritually and physically. And while my "job/title" is missionary, I'm not always motivated by love. I've learned that sometimes, people just want you to be their friend. And a friend loves. 
-More alone time with Jesus. I talk with Him throughout my whole day, but there is nothing like intimate time in the Word. I think to love others more, we must first love God. Only He can change a selfish heart into a loving one.


I'm keeping it simple with 3 goals. I'm not going to stress over them or beat myself up for not perfectly perfecting them. Because sometimes on a random Tuesday in September, we have a bad day. And sometimes we reach December and realize we botched it. But that's where grace comes in and like the quote above states, Jesus always gives us a chance to reset. That's grace and that's what will keep me going through 2014. 

What are your goals for the New Year? 


No comments

Post a Comment

A beautiful adventure. All rights reserved. © Adorable Design.