Food for thought

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

We've had a lot to chew on lately. Figuratively and literally.

Figuratively:
Each morning we've been diving deep into the word with all the other trek-xers. We're going verse by verse through Romans and spending much time in prayer. These moments have been precious, learning things we've never been taught and seeing God's hand at work. I thirst for more. However, I long to not just gain knowledge, but gain a love for the Lord that far outweighs anything the world has to offer. 

All of us will be memorizing 100 verses of scripture and an entire book of the Bible. Tomorrow we are taking a field trip (yay!). We're going to World Relief, an humanitarian organization that provides aid to those in need. Our role with this organization will be with the refugee families that come into our country. Some of the trek-x students will be adopting several refugee families, spending time with them over meals or bible studies and just simply showing Christ's love.
Mitch and I however, will be partnered up with one of the many hispanic churches in the area, possibly adopting a family from there. Finally! Some Spanish! =)

Literally:
I love cooking. In college I never had time to make fancy meals, nor did I have a lot of money to spend on food. I always needed to make something quick and easy. 
Nowadays, I still don't have a lot of money, but I have much more time (due to no more studying or writing papers-hallelujah those days are over)! Sometimes when I'm in the kitchen I feel like I could give Giada or Paula a run for there money ;)

Over a year ago I stopped eating beef. That has turned into a cut back of other meats and eventually led to an official decision to become vegetarian. If you care to know why, I'd love to share, but I won't bore you with the facts here. Anyway, being vegetarian has meant using some creativity for meals. It's really not hard! 
Here are some delicious, easy meals for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike (and they're husband approved!)
Gourmet grilled cheese. 
Mozzarella, tomato, avocado, and pesto

I'm dying to make this avocado salsa.
Looks delish!

Asparagus, goat cheese and lemon pasta.
If you haven't tried goat cheese before, do so now. You won't settle for processed, sliced cheese any longer!

The other night I made roasted vegetables alongside rice and lentils. 
olive oil, salt and pepper. then stick 'em in the over. ta da! scrumptious veggies
(for more ideas visit: http://pickyeaterblog.com/ )

I can't wait to get a'cookin! My healthy eating habits have made for a healthier lifestyle that Mitch and I both love. So thankful for a supportive husband, who loves healthy meat-free eating. 

Food is pleasurable to our taste/smell and satisfying to our stomachs, but the Word of God has been all the more satisfying to our souls. 

"Man shall not live on bread alone, but from every word that comes from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4 

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, I just stumbled upon your blog!
    I had no idea you guys were doing missions! very excited for yall!
    i'll definitely be praying. what an incredible opportunity.
    im looking forward to keeping up on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tana! I stumbled across yours the other day too! I hope everything is going great in Africa. I love looking at your pictures you post from there. yes, we are very excited about the opportunity to GO! =)

    ReplyDelete

A beautiful adventure. All rights reserved. © Adorable Design.